Place Services is at the forefront of environmental consultancy in the public sector, and our people are integral to our success. The growth of our commercial practice means we are now looking for a resourceful, confident and professional ecologist to join our growing multidisciplinary team. Reporting to the Principal Ecological Consultant, you will support the existing team of ecologists by assisting with project delivery and working as part of the wider Place Services multidisciplinary team.
Key areas of work will be the provision of ecological advice to Local Planning Authority officers in relation to planning applications, for Essex County Council and for our District and Borough partners. In addition, you will support colleagues carrying out field surveys for legally protected species such as Badger, Dormouse, Water Vole, bats and Great Crested Newt. This will include some early morning and late evenings.
You will also be expected to contribute to a wide range of client focused ecology and biodiversity services, to support the commercial viability of Place Services.
The role requires the ability to be mobile throughout an operational area and therefore a valid driving licence and use of a car is required, or alternative transport arrangements.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Educated to degree level or equivalent in ecology/biodiversity or related discipline with industry experience.
• At least Qualifying Member of CIEEM, or eligible to apply.
• Has and maintains at least basic knowledge of legislation and planning policy and good practice relating to wildlife, ecology and biodiversity.
• Has and maintains at least basic knowledge of field survey techniques for legally protected species such as Great Crested Newt, Bats, Dormouse, Water Vole and/or Badger.
• Evidence of continuous professional development.
• Good understanding of basic IT software such as MS word and MS Excel and able to manipulate and present data in a professional manner.
• Familiar with GIS Software such as ArcGIS.
• Able to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities, within defined timescales.
• Full driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes.