Assistant Historic Environment Consultant
- Date Posted: 10 May 2021
- Closing Date: 13 June 2021
- Location: Chelmsford
- Type: Full-time, permanent
Place Services is at the forefront of environmental consultancy in the public sector, and integral to our success are our people. The growth of our practice means we now require an outstanding individual to support our Historic Environment Team.
Place Services is a traded service of Essex County Council. Our success as a consultancy to the public sector is unparalleled. We act as historic building and conservation advisors to 17 local planning authorities, and archaeological advisors to 12 local planning authorities. We curate the Essex Historic Environment Record and provide a long running annual syllabus of conservation and traditional building skills courses. We count organisations such as Historic England and the National Trust as regular clients.
This post is an excellent opportunity to work alongside our experienced archaeological and historical building consultants. Responsible to the Historic Environment Manager, and working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, the post holder will provide support on a range of professional and high-quality client focused historic environment services and products. You will help deliver a varied workload including the provision of archaeological advice to local planning authorities, and a diverse range of project work.
This will be achieved through the provision of routine technical and administrative tasks, including assisting consultants, senior consultants and principal consultants in assessments, analysis and data management, to support the delivery of sustainable development.
The post holder will support the Historic Environment Manager, and Principal Historic Environment Consultant, to help realise our on-going commercial success and aspiration for growth.
The role is typically based in our offices in Chelmsford. As a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic we are currently working from home, but we are undertaking site visits.
Place Services fully supports individual’s professional development with a generous CPD budget and funded membership of both the IHBC and CIfA. There are also opportunities to be involved with our own CPD course syllabus: /courses/
The role will also include a diverse range of tasks including:
- Provision of archaeological advice to local authorities and monitoring of fieldwork;
- Administration and update of the Essex Historic Environment Record (HER);
- Input into Historic Environment Desk Based Assessments and Heritage Impact Assessments;
- GIS mapping and data interrogation;
- Desk based and archival research; and
- Field survey and recording.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Full UK driving license is essential.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject, with extensive post-qualification experience (minimum five years), ideally of archaeological fieldwork.
- Knowledge of legislation, planning policy and good practice relating to the historic environment, including office and site-based practices and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including report writing, publication and presentation, allied with confident and professional interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Skilled in using Microsoft applications.
For an informal discussion or any queries about the position please contact the Historic Environment Manager, Tim Murphy firstname.lastname@example.org / 0333 032 0847.