Assistant Urban Design Consultant
- Date Posted: 19 July 2022
- Closing Date: 21 August 2022
- Location: Chelmsford
- Type: Permanent, Full Time
Salary: Up to £27,338 per annum
Place Services is a traded service of Essex County Council. Our purpose is to support public sector organisations to deliver their role in sustainable development.
The key responsibility for the Assistant Urban Design Consultant is ensuring effective support for our Built Environment specialism.
The role will provide support on all Built Environment projects and service level agreements. The role requires good skills in technical delivery and communication to ensure effective and profitable distribution of our built environment services, including provision of urban design advice to local planning authorities, master planning, design codes, project management and development management planning. The role will be expected to support the delivery of our services across Essex, London and the South East.
- Supporting the Built Environment service by providing technical and graphical built environment support across the team, including preparation of documents, plans, diagrams and GIS mapping and completion of development management responses to help ensure the successful and profitable delivery of all Service Level Agreements, contracts and projects, including those incorporating multiple disciplines.
- Supporting the service to secure and analyse client, competitor and market intelligence for the Built Environment specialism to develop and maintain understanding of the issues, opportunities, risks, profitability and trends within its key markets.
- Responsible for promoting the Built Environment specialism and Place Services through networking activity and supporting the delivery of products and services, including attending specialist CPD events, courses and lectures.
- Responsible for actively keeping updated within the specialism, maintaining technical knowledge and commercial acumen, translating learning into improved value for our clients and Place Services.
- Work collaboratively to support joined up, integrated and effective team working to create a positive team culture within Place Services.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to post graduate level to a relevant degree level in planning, urban design, landscape architecture, architecture (or related discipline) with demonstrable built environment experience. Working towards membership of the urban design group, architecture, planning or other relevant professional body.
- Demonstrable knowledge of legislation, planning policy and good practice relating to the built environment, including office and site based practices and procedures.
- Has and maintains a broad knowledge of the constituent elements of the built environment, with an interest in developing specialist knowledge in one or more periods, topics or practices
- Awareness of commercial practices including preparation of bids and tenders.
- Good level of technical experience and knowledge of planning, architecture and urban design including: site analysis, researching and preparing evidence base reports.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including report writing, publication and presentation.
- Able to effectively prioritise and efficiently deliver work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities, within defined timescales
- Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and one or more of the following: AutoCAD, GIS, and other specialist software such as Adobe suite (Indesign/Illustrator/Photoshop)
To learn more about the role and make an application, please see the website here.