05 Apr 2019
Do you need planning skills training for councillors?
Place Services is offering two courses delivered by leading experts.
A) Planning Essentials For Councillors
B) Essentials For Planning Committee Members
Two courses aimed particularly at councils with elections in May, or new planning committee members this year. But available for all!
Place Services delivers over 30 training courses every year for planners, councillors and other built environment professionals.
Our training delivery team for councillor training combines both experienced planners, trainers and councillors. Plus input from the host planning department enables us to customise the training to local needs.
Delivered at your council, or for two or three adjacent councils at the same time, providing excellent value for money per councillor trained.
Our main geographic focus is East and South England, where we have trained councillors for over a decade, but the courses can be delivered anywhere in England with three weeks' notice.
Core course is either half-day or 4 to 8pm, including a focus on group work learning as well as condensed learning. Longer full-day option also available - adding more detail on Planning Policy, and/or extra options e.g. viability/infrastructure delivery, biodiversity, or conservation planning.
Trainers previously delivered councillor training across England for the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) and direct for local authorities.
For more information please email email@example.com.
Or telephone Lewis Herbert, Director - Planning Skills on 07748 536153.
TRAINING COURSE A
Planning Essentials for Councillors
For new councillors and a refresh for existing councillors so they understand planning –
- planning principles and the council’s Local Plan/policy
- key 2018 NPPF changes and other recent national changes
- decision making process on applications – committee/delegations
- how members can make the most of their roles
- danger zones and planning code of conduct.
TRAINING COURSE B
Essentials for Planning Committee Members
For planning committee councillors, and alternates
Most commonly delivered summer/September, after membership is decided at Council AGMs
- advanced understanding of key policy and material considerations
- detailed focus on decision making process – committee/delegations
- team building with new members, including learning from practice in other councils
- self assessment by committee members on the committee’s strengths and weaknesses
- how visitors at committee meeting really perceive meeting decision making by the council
- identifying any follow up needed by members and officers.
We also provide Planning Skills training courses for planners, and Building Conservation courses