Our team recently completed a Heritage Assessment for Tendring District Council. The report provided a historic assessment of the Victorian lights along the seafront in Clacton-on-Sea, to support in future decision making regarding the protection of the lamps.
The report drew from research and historic images, such as postcards, to assess the development of the lamps throughout the C20.
Clacton-on-Sea seafront and parade is home to a stretch of Grade II listed historic street lights. They are cast iron and were installed in c.1912, by the London based telegraph, cable and electrical company Johnson & Phillips Ltd and London Electric Firm, Croydon. The installation of the Revo Clacton brackets and Revo C6200 lanterns on top of the Johnson & Phillips posts took place in the 1930s. In the 1960s, changing technology meant that many of the original bulb lights were changed, and the Revo C6200 lanterns increasingly gave way to GEC Z8430CMs. Some of these historic features can still be seen in the lamps along the seafront in Clacton.